.. all the little creative things of my everyday life.



"So little of what could happen does happen."

Salvador Dalí

Saturday 28 August 2010

the surreal house.




surrealism: (sə-rē'ə-lĭz'əm) (Oxford Dictionary of English)

• noun [mass noun] a 20th-century avant-garde movement in art and literature which sought to release the creative potential of the unconscious mind, for example by the irrational juxtaposition of images.

surrealism (Urban Dictionary)

• really screwed up art that came out of Dadaism in WWI (hahaha)




Im going to see The Surreal House at the Barbican Art Gallery on Monday. I have long been interested in the movement and have wanted to go and see this exhibition for a while now. Yesterday I passed one of the adverts in the tube and realised that it's only on for another 2 weeks! It's a dwelling designed by Carmody Groarke infused with subjectivity and desire and features architecture and cinematic dreamscapes by artists, architects and film-makers from the likes of Salvador Dalí, Marcel Duchamp, René Magritte and Man Ray to more contemporary figures such as Rebecca Horn and Rem Koolhas. I am a huge fan of all of them so it's going to be amazing to be apart of something so rare where surrealism is combined with mans most familiar form of art, architecture. I have also heard that it is quite an interactive exhibition with mazes and atmospherical spaces.

I can't wait! / P.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    It is so exciting to see you want go to that gallery. The Surrealism has been a very catching lovely school of Art for me. I admire Dali's works and am astond of his method of thinking. I love the color combinations and the form deformations.

    The Surrealism belongs the subconcious mind territory and full of thing to discover always.

    I hope you enjoy visisting The Surreal House at the Barbican Art Gallery.

    I will be back and read your new post for this later.

    Ardi

    ReplyDelete